A project with singularities of common interest
- Generation of employment in areas of demographic challenge and just transition, characterized by a high unemployment and depopulation rate.
- Relocation of surplus mining personnel during construction.
- Relocation of surplus personnel from Thermal Power Plants and mining during operation and maintenance.
- Creation of wealth in areas affected by mining reconversion and induced activities.
- Integration of Renewable Energies.
- Large-scale energy storage contributing to energy security and efficiency.
- Avoid negative impacts from wastewater discharges that are the subsidiary responsibility of the Administration.
- Recovery and restoration of land affected by traditional coal mining.
- Purification and control of contaminated water discharges from abandoned mines.
- Unnecessary to build captation elements in the river (weir).
- The passage of fish species is not interrupted.
- Unnecessary to build a dam on the river to regulate the water.
- No water is diverted from the river, leaving it free for other uses.
- There is no consumptive use of the public hydraulic domain, since a closed cycle is used.
- The water contaminated by the mines is processed, avoiding its discharge into the public watercourse.
- A patent is available for wastewater treatment.
The Purifying – Pumped Hydroelectric Energy Storage Velilla (P-PHES Velilla) has been included in the List of PROJECTS OF COMMON INTEREST (PCI) by the Commission of the European Parliament, in accordance with Regulation 347/2013.